Condensed Milkweed

Monarch Butterfly on purple Common Milkweed flower, Asclepias Syriaca
Common Milkweed

The webpage is having retroactive growing pains. When learning how to organize and construct a website (well I’m still learning that, but earlier in the process) I put in too many pages linking to one another. So today I combined two of the Growing Milkweed pages and removed the landing page I had created for them, leading to a (hopefully) more seamless experience. Grow, website, grow!

Thank you, Voltaire…

American Robin

… for bringing to our notice the old Italian aphorism, “Perfect is the enemy of good.” I worked on the Lawn page today. It is not perfect. But it is good. I can add more to it at a future date- backyard foraging! ducks, deer, chipmunks! – but tomorrow I will move on to a new section since I have only a month(!) to have the site ready for visitors.

Bird by bird.

Releasing a new Monarch butterfly for its first flight.

The work here continues, more some days, less others. Today was less. Today I finished the Raising Butterflies landing page. Tomorrow I’ll work on the content there some more.

But that’s how to accomplish big tasks- bird by bird. Or in this case, butterfly by butterfly.

On butterflies and time…

Male Monarch butterfly

The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.

Rabindranath Tagore

I was reminded of this quote as I sighed and wished I had more time here today. It seems especially apropos given that today I have been working on the Raising Butterflies landing page. I managed to convert it to Block editor, put in some more visually appealing images for the links, and combine two sections that should have been together from the start. I had wanted to finish that page today, but tomorrow is just as good. I have time enough.

Deadlines are good things.

You may have noticed there was a pandemic.

We saw it coming a bit earlier than some, here at Chez Daisy. Everything stopped as we prepared and then endured. By the beginning of last February we were focused on the critical things. Optional things paused, including my work on this website.

In the last few months I’ve been thinking about this space again. Now I am suddenly thinking about it with considerably more intensity as we are about to build an ADU in our backyard. An ADU is an Accessory Dwelling Unit, aka coach house or tiny house or as we call it, the Little House on the Prairie Restoration. Daisy’s Crazy Yard in the suburbs is about to get developed. A Little. (see what I did there?)

The vast majority of my garden beds will remain undisturbed. Plants will grow, butterflies will be raised, bunnies will frolic. The ducks will be grumpy, but I’m sure they’ll return next year.

I’m going to share the details of the construction here. If my neighbors are anything like me, they’re sure to enjoy having their curiosity satisfied regarding the process.

But this means we’re about to have visitors so I need to get this space in shape! I’m giving myself until June 1st to get the base site complete. Many things will get pulled, everything else will get freshened up- I’m finally caving and learning Block Editor, so things will look sharper. I’ll do daily updates in this posts section to help motivate me to make progress each day.

Wish me luck!

Visuals

The last few days I’ve been working on visual layouts for the website, since I needed a break from the caterpillar care dissertation. Most of this has happened behind the scenes, and quite a bit of it was a complete failure and ended up on the scrap heap. However, I finally managed a nice pictorial link for the milkweed:

I also worked on a squirrel pic which I am not super happy with, but which will do. I’ll install it tomorrow. See below:

Don’t even ask about the grackle pic. Sigh.

I knew this would take a while.

Today I put up two more pages of content on the raising caterpillars page and added in some things to the earlier text that I had forgotten. Two thirds of the way through the caterpillar info now, then I move onto the butterflies themselves. I knew this was going to take forever.

That’s my boy!

Today I took a break from writing about caterpillar care and worked on website visuals a bit. I’ve decided I want just one column for sections under each menu heading, obviously with some nice pictures.

To that end I took one of my pics of a male monarch butterfly and cropped out the background, then used it as a Raising Monarchs link on the Growing Flora and Fauna page.

My photo, my photo editing!

 

This puts me on the right track for what I ultimately want the display layout to be. Also, another icon is my very own, rather than random clip art. Win-win!

Tomorrow back to caterpillars.